Online Remote Proctoring (ORP)
Online Remote Proctoring (ORP) allows candidates, once scheduled, to take NWSA written exam(s) online using their own internet-connected computer from almost anywhere, 24/7/365!
Candidates will be connected with a live online proctor who will lead them through the check-in and security procedures and monitor the candidate in real time via webcam, microphone, and screen share, along with the assistance of artificial intelligence (AI).
Benefits of ORP include:
- Greater flexibility in scheduling and rescheduling
- Immediate score reporting*
- Live Support
* Preliminary results will be available immediately. All results and test administration are subject to review and approval following standard testing protocols.
What Does ORP Look Like?
Candidates take exams via a computer in a private, well-lit room with a door and that is void of any materials (i.e., electronic devices, books, papers, etc.) on the table or desk.
Exams that require supplements or calculators will have these available on-screen. The exam also has an on-screen whiteboard that takes the place of scratch paper.
Through the NWSA Candidate Portal, candidates have access to a demo exam at no cost. This demo exam is intended to provide a test simulation experience. Candidates have the opportunity to familiarize themselves with how to navigate through the exam and utilize the on-screen tools, including:
- Answering questions
- Highlighting & striking through text
- Viewing & navigating supplements & load charts
- Using a calculator & whiteboard to record notes
- Navigating through questions & marking items for review
ORP Computer Requirements
ORP exams may be taken on any laptop or desktop computer that meets minimum technical requirements. In order to test via ORP, the computer must be equipped with:
- A microphone
- A webcam
Want to check to see if your computer meets requirements?
- Download the required Guardian browser. This browser is required to take your NWSA exam securely:
- Once you’ve downloaded and installed the Guardian browser, open it and paste this URL into the Guardian browser to test your equipment: go.proctoru.com/testitout. This must be done from within the Guardian browser to check your equipment accurately. (In some instances, you may see a pop-up indicating an extension download is required; this is NOT required. Please click Test your system without the latest extension to continue.)
Testing on a work/corporate computer?
NWSA recommends testing on a personal computer, however, when necessary, the NWSA written exams may be able to be taken from a work computer. It is highly recommended that test takers in this category provide this resource document to their corporate IT department well ahead of their scheduled exam so that any necessary adjustments can be made to their computers to ensure compliance with exam security requirements.
Note: ORP is not supported on smartphones, tablets/iPads, or Chromebooks.
How to Apply
- Login to your candidate profile.
- Once logged in, submit an online application and pay for the exam(s).
- Once your application has been processed, you will receive a scheduling authorization email. Exams you’ve been approved to take will show on the homepage of your NWSA Candidate portal.
- Scheduling for ORP written exams will be completed in the NWSA Candidate Portal by clicking “Schedule/Manage Written Exam”.
- Once scheduled, you will receive an exam appointment confirmation.
Fees for all exams as well as any related fees can be found at www.nws-a.org/exam-fees/.
Candidates may schedule exams at their convenience by logging onto their NWSA Candidate Portal and clicking “Schedule/Manage Written Exams”. As long as there is availability, exams may be scheduled in as little as 15 minutes prior to desired test time but may be scheduled up to six months prior to testing.
Preparing Your Computer and Test Room before Your Exams
To have the best testing experience possible, there are a few things you want to do before test day, including download the Guardian browser, test your equipment, and identify an acceptable space to take your exam. There are also some things you will need on-hand the day of your exam, as well as some things you won’t. Visit the How to Prepare for ORP page before your test day so you, your equipment, and your space are fully prepared.
Rescheduling, Cancellation, or Withdrawal
- Candidates may reschedule or cancel their exam appointment at no cost up to 30 minutes prior to the exam start time.
- Cancellation of an exam appointment is done online by logging into the NWSA Candidate Portal and clicking “Schedule/Manage Written Exam”.
- Candidates who submitted written applications prior to May 17, 2023 will not be permitted to transfer their exam registration from PSI to ORP. If a candidate so chooses, they will be permitted to submit a new application and payment to test via ORP, however, they will forfeit their previous exam fees.
- Candidates who decide not to take exams, or do not test within six months of application submission will forfeit their fees.